View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Winilyme

Default The Lake is BIG. Makes Winni feel small.

I've never been out on the lake but our daughter lives in Burlington and we were there visiting her this past weekend. Lot's to do and places to dine in the downtown area. Also, many nearby hiking trails if you need to get off the boat and stretch your legs. Not sure where you'll dock if you choose to visit Burlington by water but there are several (smallish I think) marinas just down the hill from downtown and there always seem to be numerous vessels coming and going.

We had fun walking out to North Beach, not far from downtown, and enjoyed the panoramic views of the mountains across the lake in NY. The water looked very clear but we've been there later in the summer when it looks far less appealing (algae blooms and the sort that comes with runoff from city streets and so forth). If swimming is in your plans, check first for local water quality updates. It's sad that my daughter, a recent environmental sciences graduate, would think twice before swimming anywhere in Champlain. She did say that the NY side of the lake is cleaner than the VT side.

If you're looking for super clean/clear water, consider Lake George. There are some great historic sites to visit in that area such as Fort Ticonderoga.

Good luck and have fun.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote