View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #173
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Think, I hate to disagree but I do. I am sure you don't believe every study you read. There is no question if some, and I do say SOME people, can be paid not to work they will take advantage of it. Some have pride and would not take tax money unless it was absolutely necessary but others have no problem with it.
I suspect it has some impact too. But I think the shortage is a combination of a lot of things as discussed by the owners of Hart’s. Crack down on immigration, attractive unemployment, nervousness still to COVID, and reassessment of life, career, school etc.

Like for example some schools didn’t let the kids go hone for spring break because that just added exposure to the schools. There might be incentives to stay on campus at some colleges for the summer.

As far as nervousness goes, we are NOT out of the woods yet until India is solved. COVID could mutate (if it hasn’t already) and the whole thing could happen all over again in a few months. All countries need to step up and help India in any way they can.

Also the dopes that won’t get vaccinated in the USA puts things at risk too.

So a lot of the population knows that it’s still potentially risky working in public and can afford to stay self locked down until it’s really over.

Another good point made in the link was cost of housing. The owners already subsidized rent BEFORE COVID hit. And we all know how sky high property is getting around the lakes. It wasn’t all college kids filling these jobs. But the ones that are not college bound can’t afford to like in the area.

Last edited by mswlogo; 05-22-2021 at 07:34 AM.