View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #197
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
According to several recent surveys, about 85% of people identifying as Democrats will seek vaccination and only about 45% of Republicans will.

You can quibble whether mask wearing works and maintain that the mask debate is not primarily political. But what is the explanation for the above if not political?

If that few Republicans are vaccinated, it will be very difficult to achieve herd immunity. If that is the case, the consequences will be tragic, particularly as it is preventable.

My take is that the surveys are wrong in the same way the voting for Trump surveys often turned out incorrect. Many polling analysts believe that people identifying as Republicans often voted for Trump while answering they would not and Democrats would say they would not, when they did.

If the vaccination polls ARE correct, how is the split NOT political?

Is it true that the majority of Republicans are against vaccination?
You're right about that. The hell with the masks.

I think that many republicans basically don't trust government. They prefer small government, a light hand and not being told what THEY have to do.

I can't really say I blame them, in some instances, government has really screwed up.

But sometimes you have to take a chance. If they don't join in, we are gonna be in trouble. There is gonna be some portion that doesn't get vaccinated. Say 10% (due to access, communication, illegal immigrants, what ever). But if half the republican's don't vaccinate that would bring us to around 65%. That's not good.

There are signs that the polls are correct. That the vaccination rate is slowing down in the USA. That is partly due to the J&J pause (limited supply and made nervous people even more nervous).

It really is amazing that we have 3 good vaccines available.

I read one good article on the J&J pause. Basically saying the odds of you getting the blood clot from J&J is 100 times less than it is that you get into a serious car accident getting to the location of the vaccine.

One positive note regarding masks in NH. I was in all my usual spots in the lakes region this past Thursday - Sunday. And mask wearing was about the same. Went to Polly's. We ate in, huge space between tables, masks required on the entrance, yes we removed masks to eat, all staff masked . Harts (take out, all visible staff masked), Home Depot and Local Hardware Store. All top notch being careful. Few patrons didn't wear masks, but that's "normal".