View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
Rich

I'm in NH, so no FIOS (brand) but I have Consolidated Fiber service (they call it FAST instead of FIOS, but it's basically the same technology). To me the internet cost is separate from TV as I'd want and need internet with our without TV service. They offer new customers 1GB for $73 a month, but do have lower prices ($48/month and $61/month plans).

In the past, I was always upset that Consolidated never offered TV over the Fiber. But now I see they have their own IP TV Box (they call it CCiTV) available if you want to go with one stop shopping. However I suggest YouTube TV as it can be used in multiple locations and is not tied to the internet provider in any way.

A friend that lives in an apartment ONLY has a choice of Comcast for internet and was able to get some reasonable speed for $50 a month without any TV or phone service bundle (I think she lives in Manchester NH, but it may be Hooksett). She was happy with this price as she was worried that her internet only cost would go way up once she cancelled the phone and TV services.

I also went to YouTube TV for $50 a month.

Good bye cable companies!

The nice thing is that I can watch this here at home in Derry, AND anywhere else in the country, which means at the lake, or on my phone.

I had tested Hulu, but Hulu makes it difficult to use in multiple locations (such as one in a home somewhere and others at the lake, etc.).

Personally I use Amazon FireSticks, but I hear great things about the Roku also.

It's nice to have one remote to use for everything! Gone are the days of using one remote to turn on the TV, press some buttons to select something, then pick up yet another remote to select channels, etc. In fact, I can actually use the voice input and just say "turn on the TV" and it magically just turns on (for the paranoid types, It only listens when you press the voice input button). It's really a nice system.