View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I recently dumped Comcast (at $265/month) for FIOS and Youtube TV. I first just signed up for Youtube TV in October to see if we could live with that instead of Comcast X1 TV. My fear was that my wife wouldn't be comfortable with a streaming service. At first she missed the channel numbers but she soon noticed that Youtube TV would show tiles on the home page with the shows and channels that we normally watch. That made it very easy and we rarely had to go to the guide. The Youtube TV service at $50/month was rock solid and I swear the quality is better than cable tv. After a few months on Youtube TV we were ready to dump Comcast.

I did look at other streaming services but Youtube TV was the only one that included NESN (Red Sox and Bruins) and NBCSN (Celtics) as well as my wife's favorite HGTV. We're sports fans so being able to watch all four Boston pro sports teams was important.

Another nice feature of Youtube TV is the unlimited cloud DVR (they call it the Library). It not only records the program you want but then fills in every season and episode. I love it.

I had FIOS installed in December ($79/month for Gigabit). The $59/month service would have been fine but I picked Gigabit since with that they fixed the price for 3 years, everything like installation, activation and equipment was free and they gave my a $100 VISA gift card. After 3 years I'll drop down to the $59 400 Mbps service. The FIOS service is nearly symmetrical meaning I get gigabit speed for upload and download. Comcast upload speeds are about 10% or less of the download speed.

In early January I got a Comcast bill for $290. It had jumped another $30 from the previous bill. When I called to cancel the service the retention dept. tried everything to keep me but they couldn't come close to the cost of FIOS and Youtube TV.

I have now bought Roku Ultras and streaming sticks to run Youtube TV on our four TV's. They are great and have many channels that provide lots of free content. I think the small Rokus use much less energy than all the Comcast boxes and DVR.

So now I'm thrilled with paying $130/month instead of $290. We're in our 3rd month of FIOS and we haven't had a single issue with the service.

If anyone has questions about my FIOS and Youtube TV services I'd be glad to answer them.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post: