View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Adjustment to LatLon for Paugus 28 foot wreck

Senter Cove Guy and I have been discussing the Longitude for this wreck on the spreadsheet described as "Commercial Boat".

If the Longitude of 71 27.732 does not put you on the wreck use 71.27.719. Without calculating the spread in Google Earth I can say that the difference is about 40-50 feet or more. That's a big number in these conditions.

This is important because it is pitch black on this site at 88 feet deep and missing the target by even 15 feet can prove to be a problem in that you won't find it unless you do a circle search. Even then you may not find it.

One suggestion is to flag the target location with a dive flag then before a dive run either an Echosounder (Fish Finder) right next to the flag or better yet if you have Down Imaging/DI use that. DI is a hybrid between an Echo Sounder and Side Scan Sonar. I have gotten some great images using DI and other times it's just mush. And you need calm flat water.

Note that DI can produce a series of odd flat lines that seem to be stacked on top on one another-that's the wreck but it won't generally look like one Sometimes they do. It has almost no relief (height) but if the bottom has no rocks or other sonar "distractions"-like this site-this stack of lines will appear clearly-that's the wreck.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote