View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #73
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
It's interesting to hear criticism of the millennials without the same criticism of either the Boomers or in fewer cases Generation X - the parents that raised them.

What I find striking in regards to the changes in the lake over the 50+ years I have been blessed to enjoy it, is the growing size and number of boats. I grew up with anywhere from a 15-22 foot boat (currently have a 17) as the main boat to get back and forth the the island, fish, waterski, and just explore the lake. Now it seems like 25+ is the norm.

In terms of obnoxious behavior, I think it always existed, but with more people out on the water on a given day, there are more opportunities to come into contact with the obnoxious, entitled ones. And, being in crowded situations, of which there are more of today than a couple decades ago, can bring out the worst in people.

More often than not I am a "weekend warrior" and thank my lucky stars every time I pull up to the dock on the island that 100 years ago, a family member had the foresight to build a cottage on a small piece of land that 5 generations and counting enjoy.
I'm on board with all you say! Including the comments about criticism of Boomers and Gen X & Y, they all have problems, but they are no longer the future so I just didnt waste any time on them or should I say on us ;-)

I am keenly aware of my shortcomings and of my parents and those who followed. From the late 1970's through today we have fallen into a cultural rut. Advertising and political hype have replaced actual fact. Media has replaced journalism, truth is what you can post on the interweb and anyone will believe. Rights and justice are infinitely variable to suit the preference of those in control of the matter.

And though I see this as a dark period overall, I also see a reset on the horizon. I do believe the future gen will expect and demand and produce a better balance. If I fear anything of the future generations, its the total lack of connection to the skills that built our physical world. Gone are the tradesmen who were actually knowledgeable and took pride in what they built and repaired. Todays youth can set up a cell phone before a boomer can unfold the instructions. But ask that same youth to change a door knob and they dont know a chisel from a file and cant even figure out how to hold the tools let alone use them. They are actually mostly not interested in classic skills but are completely in sync with all the latest and greatest technology.

Its will be interesting to see this situation get resolved. I'm sure it will happen, but maybe not as we might expect.

Only time will tell, and I feel 100% certain this is a repeating cycle that has been experienced countless times over the last few hundred years ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: