View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Worst Frost Heave Road Nominations

I asked this question a couple of years ago, and the conditions of one road I travel on all the time and one I use infrequently have led me to resurrect this question. Which roads do you think are just terrible?

I nominate the frequently traveled stretch of Long Island Road (after the beach) to Jonathan's Landing as well as the Moutlonborough Neck Road from the beach to just below Camp Tecumseh. This 4 mile stretch of road is filled with heaves, their immediate valleys thereafter, open scattered tar areas, cracks and you name it. You cannot go faster than 20 mph (jeering at the occasional jerks who do) and you have to dodge this stuff within your lane - first I travel on the right of my lane and then on the left.

My second nomination is for a nominee that wins the worst-road-for-the- longest-time award! This is Route 109 beyond Suissevale all the way to and through Tuftonborough and nearly to Wolfeboro. I have never seen anything like it - I went over it last week and the heaves, valleys, etc. defied description for frequency, depth and height, jounce, etc. I got to thinking that if I had put a bowl of eggs on the floor of my car, and was lucky enough not get them on me, that they would be well beaten by the time I got to my destination. I believe this is a state road and I do not understand why this has not been fixed, although I heard a few years ago that the state's posture is that they only maintain the good roads and forget about the rest (huh?!!!). I would think that Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro could bring some pressure on whoever if they wanted to continue having people frequent their businesses from Moultonborough and Meredith and beyond.

What are your nominations for worst frost heave, etc. road?
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote