View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #161
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Here is a comment made in todays "LETTERS" section of the LDS:

Alton Selectboard is now further restricting who can say what

After seeing what happened at the March 16 Alton selectmen’s meeting, I feel compelled to write this letter.
Loring Carr put a motion to restrict all public input to subjects that are on the agenda for that meeting. The vote was 4 to 1 to pass the motion, with Mr. Wittmann the only “no” vote. When I questioned this rule change I was told that public input was a privilege, not a right, and could be taken away at any time.
Starting immediately, we, the citizens of Alton, must write a letter to the town administrator to get permission to speak on subjects other than what is on the agenda.
“Public participation in the board’s regular meetings is a privilege that the board has adopted in order to assure that persons who wish to appear before the Board and bring matters to its attention may be heard.”
This statement is written in the rules governing selectmen’s meetings from the town website. I feel it is our right and duty to speak. It should not be a privilege given by the people we elect to represent us. If we do not have the right to free speech, what do we have left?
I feel it is time for the citizens of Alton to call for a public meeting of Selectboard to change this statement from privilege to speak, to right to speak on any subject.

Donald Kleeberg
Alton
It seems like four of the five Alton selectmen have not learned one of the preeminent rules of politics. When you find yourself in a hole.... Stop Digging!

We can argue all day about exactly what "Free Speech" is and how it applies to this situation. However what is clear to me is that the selectmens actions have opened up the town to expensive litigation. It will cost the taxpayers even if they win. And will cost a lot more if they lose.

All the selectmen had to do was sit there and let the citizen ramble on for his five minutes. If he had kept talking at the end of that time, and had then been arrested, nobody would be saying his arrest was improper.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post: