View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #106
lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The selectmen didn't have the citizen arrested, they asked the police chief to remove him. The citizen was told by the chief many times to stop talking and leave the room. The citizen refused to leave and kept talking. The chief had no choice but to arrest him. He would not have been arrested if he would have followed the chiefs instructions.

Why do some citizens have to harass public servants with comments like that gentleman made? I know, free speech...but gee whiz.
The Selectmen were the ones who did not even give him 15 seconds before one of them stood up and declared what was being spoken was defamatory and left to get the police. What a huge, pompous, over reaction.
The Selectmen could have waited 5 minutes, the Chair could have directed that, and his time would have expired, end of story. Instead they caused to elevate it to what I guess will be a law suit and more money to pay Alton's attorney and then pay out yet another settlement. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
The citizens of Alton do have the right to both attend, and address, the Selectmen during meetings. I also believe, as do many, that the Selectmen over use, and miss use the option of going in "private session" to conduct public business. The Right to Know Laws are in place for good reason and if allowed to circumvent those rules it seems that is what some Selectmen would prefer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lagoon For This Useful Post: