View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #45
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
On new cars/trucks/SUV.

Change oil religiously every 3,000 miles no matter what the manual states.

If you plan on keeping vehicle for awhile it is crucial to do the frequent oil changes in the beginning. Once the car starts to burn oil later on it is too late.

Don't go for the cheapy oil change either. Oil filter come in about 3 grades.

Motor oil starts to deteriorate immediately. Synthetic oil deteriorates more slowly.

There is a web site dedicated to motor/engine oil:

LINK
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> When I bought my Caddie it came with oil changes and tire rotations for the first 50,000 miles free. They say to come in at 7500 miles but if the computer in the car says you have over 20% oil life left you have to wait to bring it in. That sometimes is another 1000-1500 miles if just driving up and down the highway.

I also believe the new Toyota cars all recommend you come in at 10,000 miles.Under severe use its 5000-6000. When I was running a diesel that’s when I would change it every 10,000 miles. Oil is a lot different now and last a lot longer.Most are now all using sythenic oils now.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->