View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
Lakesrider, VIP:

The SAME THING happened to me! And I also bought the parts and took it home, much to their surprise! The problem was, when I got everything off, the rotors looked FINE. I got the micrometer to measure and sure enough - the rotors were in good shape, and did NOT need replacing!!! I couldn't put everything back together fast enough, cursing the entire time that they would do try to take advantage of me!

When I brought everything back, I blasted the manager, who, after my tirade offered me a job! (I told him that I didn't want to work on my OWN car that day, let alone anyone else's!)

Anyway, back to the topic - bigdog, I'm glad that you brought this up because I'm due for an oil change too, and I don't want to do my own this time. I had Mike Quality Car Care at the top of my list.

Winnigirl83, I very much enjoy the idea of ice cream while you wait - that's brilliant!
WOW!!

I know this is an old thread but this is the first time that I have read it.

I’m just a little confused as to why you didn’t make them prove to you that the rotors and pads needed changing. With your knowledge you should have had them take you out to the bay where your car was and have them prove to you why they needed changing.
It’s not just the thickness that will reject rotors, there are many reason why they might need changing. They should have showed you the reasons. The thickness is stamped on each rotor and there is a dimension that they use to reject them. Also this dimension will determine if the rotors can be machined.

Some questions:

What was the reason for taking the car to them in the first place, e.g., inspection, oil change, say high to someone, etc.
What parts did you buy and take home? Was it just the pads or did you buy the rotors also?
Then when you found out you didn’t need the rotors you took them back?
When you took the car back to show them that they were wrong, did they check the rotors again, or did they just take your word that they were OK?