View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 05:59 AM   #24
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
The article states that the extra money is needed to shore-up the stage....it is warped and un-safe. Maybe I am naive, but given that the main purpose of a theater is for live performances--which require a stage--shouldn't that have been one of the FIRST things that was assessed in determining the extent of the renovation project? From prior articles, it seems that all of the focus, (and money), was on restoring the grandeur of the theater and only now, at the very end, is anyone looking at the condition of the stage. Really??
When you are going after public funds, you make sure the LAST thing that gets paid for is among the most essential. That way, when you exceed your budget, it is almost impossible for extra money to be refused. All the places where you might have cut costs have already been paid for.

Yes, it sounds cynical but I have seen it happen over and over.

Consider also that refinishing the hardwood stage had to be a KNOWN expense. Concrete had been poured on it. At a minimum, it would have to be spot repaired, sanded, and refinished. Only an idiot would have ignored the possible damage of the weight of the concrete on the support structure but that is the only work that is a "surprise".

Laconia is already committed to this project. Any extra cost WILL be funded. As to the success of the theater, that is a long way off and will involve a lot of factors including programming for the theater and the general "feel" of the downtown area being attractive to people who might come to see a show, including parking, safety, dining, ambiance, etc.

The deed (renovating the theater) is done. I wish them good luck.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: