View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #18
ApS

Post No Sailing Today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
But I was told by the state biologist that that is good algae, APS. It cleans the bottom very nicely, it eats it way through it. I have not seen the Gloeotrichia.
Today, a very tranquil water, with bright sun, showed no Gloeotrichia in the area around our dock.

That "good algae" appears (itself) to be breaking down into muck in deeper areas. Does it then release Phosphorus to the lake bottom, for Gloeotrichia to thrive? The photos below, taken yesterday, show that the green algae moves easily when the water around it is disturbed.

Early in the season, green algae attaches to the upper parts of native vegetation. It's also free-floating, so the state biologist may be referring to a different algae; after all, there are 6000 different species of green algae.

BTW:The green algae around here has (thankfully) no resemblance to "didymo"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOMSnnAVSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
LWA—thank you for looking into the cause of the problem at Silver Sands. I’m looking at the water there now and it’s the color of liquid mud. I hope a remedy is found so that next summer it resembles the beautiful blue of the rest of the lake. The hull of my boat is nearly jet black and acid washing gets expensive.
Perhaps 15 years ago, I asked the forum why some boats had a totally-black discoloration below the waterline.

The answer was an abrupt "Silver Sands"—so—for Lake Winnipesaukee to ever achieve "a beautiful blue" isn't likely any time soon.
Attached Images