View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
ApS

Exclamation "Repulsive" Algae—But N O T Gloeotrichia Algae...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieRinker27 View Post
Hi all, I was anchored on the western edge of Ragged yesterday and in an effort to escape the oppressive heat, I decided to take a plunge. When I was choosing my "landing spot", I noticed a grey cloud floating just above bottom with an amorphous shape. It may have been attached to the bottom somehow, but since it looked repulsive, I avoided it. I should have taken a picture, but didn't. My question, maybe naive, but was is "rock snot" (didymo)?
• My trustworthy high-school-aged-neighbor interrupted his own "closing-up" to take the requested picture. (Thank you!)

• The OP's "amorphous, repulsive-algae" drifting over the bottom—with the appearance of green "cotton candy"—is not the Gloeotrichia we see suspended at Lake Winnipesaukee's surface waters.

• When Winter Harbor was a real harbor—and not today's demolition-derby playground for visiting over-sized boats—we saw none of these two very troubling algae types! (Yes, and some here want to tax kayaks!)

• This green, diaphanous, algae fills most of the picture's lower left quadrant, with normal lake-gravel bottom in the upper right quadrant:

Attached Images

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote