Thread: The Dive
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #86
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Actually the biggest point in the story of the Dive, is that you really need to fully vet your idea, before sinking Hundred of thousands of dollars into a venture. The dive since the beginning has believed that the only permitting they needed to worry about was from the State, because they would be sitting on top of the State owned property. And from a health and safety code stand point that is entirely correct.

What they failed to recognized, and continue to step into every time they turn around is the fact, that as soon, as the tie to a dock, which is connected to land controlled by the town, they also face additional jurisdiction and regulations. Every time I have seen the Dive have issues, it is with the towns, to my knowledge they have not had any issue with the state. The towns can control their town docks anyway they want. The towns can regulate business that operate with in their boundaries anyway they want. And once a Boat is tied to a dock, which is tied to the land that belongs to the town, the town gains jurisdiction over the business activities.

In the past there have been other water bound business on less of a scale, boats selling ice cream, boats selling burgers and dogs... No issues why? because they never operated while dock side, they never needed access to have holding tanks pumped....or be gassed up, beyond what could easily be done just like any other boat....

At the end of the day, the DIVE is struggling because of the scale of the endeavor, and because of the ignorance of the owners... I had honestly wanted to see them succeed..... But they keep falling into the same situation summer after summer..... If they have actually come out of the Red I would truly be surprised.... Do I think they could succeed, Yes but they need to find a land based partner that has water access, in a commercial setting, that will allow them to function, both tied up, and underway. And then before jumping into action and operations with that partner, clear the plan with the town... The problem is that partnership is going to require the dive to buy into that business, or that business to buy into the Dive....

Alright enough already, FLL you must have some more witty comments you can make...
Why did they pull out of the deal at the Weirs public docks? They fought hard for it and got what they wanted. I haven't followed this closely, but was surprised to hear that they walked. Probably more to the story than I have heard.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote