View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #90
ApS

Arrow The "New" Johnson's Cove Visitors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is this from your place? If so, is this an uncropped image and how often does it occur?
My place is about a ½-mile distant. I might be able to recapture this image to show the property owner trying to get his sailboat fully rigged, off the mooring, and out of the cove. Maybe he'll ask to have a boat moved for passage?

The surrounding properties were purchased maybe ten years ago and, at one time, were for sale. Not too far away is a house presently for sale—just $10,000,000.

This picture was forwarded to me by a neighbor, but this is a usual summer weekend "convention" of visitors. There are usually many more boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Where is this?
Johnson's Cove, on Wolfeboro Neck.

When I first saw it, there was a two-story sawmill located there—but abandoned. There'd also been a slalom waterski course set up in its quiet waters. Turtles ("Painted Sliders") once abounded in the foreground of this picture.

Rainwater runoff from the former airport property drains an abutting forested area once known as "the dump", and flows alongside the roadway into Johnson's Cove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoSR View Post
This does look like Johnson’s cove and I have seen these boats like this, once this year. I don’t go often so I can’t say if this happens a lot or not. However, I find it kinda funny that this is the location, some people want us to say, this is just awful, the poor landowners! As I recall, there isn’t a single house on Johnson's cove! There is one across the street at the far end of the cove and quite far up away from the road which I believe is a rental properly, but I could be wrong. I think there is one dock and a couple of barges, nothing else.

I don't care where people anchor, just be mindful of others and don't blast your music all day long. Believe it or not, not everyone likes the music you play just as not everyone likes my music choices.

All be safe and enjoy what we have here on the lake. Not everyone is as lucky as we are.
It's the only place I've seen a boat captain wrap his anchor (and line) around a tree.

The former owner of Johnson's Cove built a postwar cottage uphill from the cove. It had been rented in the past, but this sailboat owner is a "regular", and built his dock not knowing

The weekend "parade" of these boats prevent regular weekenders from anchoring in Winter Harbor. The wakes are just too intense for anchoring a boat, but that and intense erosion is "all legal".

If I lived there, I'd buy some powerful amplifiers, and practice my "freedom of speech".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote