View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
parrothead

Default Loud Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer
They're not listening, either. There are plenty of loud boats.
My father and I were stopped the year before last because his Sea Ray bowrider was too loud at headway speed. The boat was sold to my parents with a switch for the exhaust to go through the hull or through the props. The officer told us that the boat was too loud, and asked to look into the engine compartment, where he found the switch mechanism. Now right or wrong we didn't know the switch was illegal. The MP officer was nice and gave us a warning. The swtich had to be disabled with the exhaust running through the props, an appointment was made to have the boat decible tested a week later. If it didn't pass then he would have to pay a fine. To make a long story endless, after the MP officer was finished with us we went in opposite directions. He went back to sit off the Meredith Docks and we continued to head down Meredith bay. As we got to be about 300 feet apart a GFB with through stearn pipes came between us and the officer and began to throttle up. Now this boat was considerably louder than our Sea Ray and is getting louder by the minute. The MP officer didn't even turn around to look at the boat and kept heading back towards the docks. So now my Dad and I are confused, did the loudness of our boat damage the MP officers hearing so he could no longer hear? The only thing that we could think of was that he knew that Sea Ray had shipped boats to the Winni with this switch and he stopped us not because of the noise, but for the switch. So I guess there is a chance that they are still looking for certain boat brands to stop for the noise level.