View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 03:44 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Drove by Likeside Famous Roast Beef today and noticed that the sign has changed. They dropped the word “famous”. Quite an interesting marketing approach. Call yourself famous at first and then a decade later drop the association. Hmmm?

D’Angelos is a subsidiary of Papa Ginos’s. They too have had a very significant price increase. About a year ago I enjoyed a double cheese burger there for about

$8.50. 6 months ago about $10.50, 3 months ago $12.50, a week ago $14.50. It’s actually in line with reality. A year ago the could pay the eatery level help $8.50 while today they have to pay $16 to compete with McDonalds. So much for $7.25 minimum wage and a value meal.
Their website, web address, and Google info all still have "famous" in it?

In terms of D'Angelo, they did what every chain does: they came into the market and crushed it, serving awesome portions and unique combinations, and then, once solidified in the market, began cutting back.

Quiznos, Carrabba's, The Outback, TGI Fridays, The Ground Round, Red Lobster, Weathervane...the list goes on and on and line up with Home Depot (remember when you could find actual experts on the floor to help?!), Walmart, etc. etc.

I remember the meatball and sausage sub at D'Angelo in Nashua, one of (the?) the first locations to open, and how we would hit that and the Pheasant Lane Mall up rather than stay in town for mom-and-pops. Then one day the dream was over. Quiznos did exactly the same thing twenty years later.

Now if Applebee's would just go away...

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote