View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
As the season is not totally over for me, and maybe one of the few who still really enjoys night boating, I thoroughly enjoy seeing lit up homes on the shore. Its really unique thing that Winnipesaukee offers over so many other lakes.

Some folks have very creative lighting and some have vibrant fun lighting and it really makes Winnipesaukee stand out compared to other large lakes in the northeast. There is no fun to be had boating at night on Sebago or Moosehead or Champlain, but Winnipesaukee is GREAT. A quiet wind free night putting along slowly after a nice dinner or otherwise fun day is the perfect end of the day.

Its not for everyone and in truth probably not really a good idea for most, but if you are careful and know where you are going, it can be so much fun to quietly cruise the shoreline and just look at the lights. Its a huge part of what Winnipesaukee is, a boaters recreation lake. If you want a dark lake, Moosehead is for you, but if you want to enjoy the time and effort people put into making their nightscape look great, Winnipesaukee is the place to be ;-)

I'm sure others will not share this perspective and all I can say is you are missing out. There are plenty of others places you can go to be in total darkness and you dont need to go far, but even if you only go out once for a night cruise on the MT Washington, you will come to appreciate why Winnipesaukee is so unique at night, and the shoreline lighting is a big part of it.

ATB
My initial response to this was "NOOOO!!!!" but upon reflecting upon my night journeys it's more of a "within reason."

As others have mentioned, spotlights or excessive lighting is uncool, but some nice landscape lighting and/or warm, downward-facing lights is pretty good.

I guess my threshold would be somewhere in the "as long as I can see their faces behind the campfire."

I'm wondering if this is something The North does better on average given that Raoul's Cove, Hanson Cove, and Greene's Basin all seem to strike the balance well.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: