View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,516 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Seems like, in a heavily regulated lake, there are all sorts of mayhem going on. Seems like it's a combat zone between lake abutters, between boaters as well as between residents and tourists. Yet in a lake that is little regulation, there is peace and harmony. Is this a coincidence that there is a correlation?

Winnisquam and Newfound are peaceful on weekends, in part the boaters have a place to go. Whereas in Winnipesaukee, boaters have fewer and fewer places to go. Outside of the Lakes Region, I notice the same on Sebago Lake, Lake Champlain, and Webster Lake.

Perhaps everyone should be thinking outside of the box!
I have only limited exposure to other NH lakes, Bow, Sunapee, Ossipee, Newfound and Winnisquam, and always on weekdays. I don't know what the "place to go" might be on those lakes. Seems like no destinations like town public docks or a few crowded sandbars, except the sandbar by the bridge on Winnisquam. Imagine putting a couple of 200 slot valet boat racks on any of these lakes or 50-100 slip marinas, and I bet the neighbors start screaming. I note that Sunapee and Squam have citizen groups that vigorously oppose public access. Winnipesaukee is unique and perhaps should have its own set of rules, beyond the reach of a handful of local landowners.
Just a guess, but I bet if the folks in the (proposed) NRZ's turned off their music systems they'd find the neighbors to be more friendly.

Next Tuesday is the NH primary election. Ask your (Lakes Region) candidates where they stand on NWZ and NRZ issues, or better, tell them where you stand and ask for help. There's a filing period for new legislation shortly after that and again after the November elections. Those are the times to influence your reps. It's a small window of time, so don't delay. For best influence, go hold a sign at the polls.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: