Thread: Boat crash
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #62
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Those guys had been boating on the lake well before GPS even existed. They don't need one. Hell I don't need one, and I've only been out there for 8 years and driven through there hundreds if not a thousand times. That is not a difficult once you're used to it. Plus the Bear Island Post Office has a light on at the dock at night 24X7 year round that does a pretty good job of identifying where the gap is.

Everyone who has been there enough knows the only hazards to worry about in there is staying far enough away from the Pine Island and cutting out wide of the NW point of Bear. Those markers in the middle are for the mail boat and the mount. Shallowest point in there is maybe 8 foot deep.
GPS is no substitute for experience that is for sure. While I am planning on adding a GPS unit to my boat next year, it will also provide sonar, speed..... and I am doing it not because I feel I need it. But I am getting more adventurous at night. And going places that I don't often visit at night... and well the night vision isn't what it used to be..... When I am in the parts of the lake that I know well.... there is never a problem.....These two men where in an area of the lake they new well....GPS wouldn't have done anything in this case.... I will not even speculate what happened, other then to say it is a sad day, for the lake community.....