Thread: Car Service
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
Neil's Laconia Garage, at the intersection of Routes 106 and 107 is nothing short of amazing.

My Volvo was estimated needing over $2,000 in repairs, so I thought I'd see about fixing the car that I parked for almost 3 years in the yard beside the driveway (when I had had first gotten the Volvo, because it needed a bunch of repairs). It had a hole in the engine block from where a belt had broken and kept snapping away at the engine block until there was a hole there. I had thought it was 'terminal', that it would never run again without a fortune dumped into repairs. In light of this $2,000 Volvo prospect, I decided to bring it in to Neil to get his expert opinion.

Not only did he patch up that engine block and replace the broken belts that caused the fiasco in the first place, but he set right the neglect I had inflicted by letting it set in the yard for three years (rusty rotors cleaned up, brakes replaced, etc etc). He got that car running tip top with NO problems, for under $900. It might sound like a lot, but I thought the car was dead, un-savable, and I'm still driving it!

I think he's the last mechanic I'll ever need to find!
The different belts that you could have on your car are: Timing, cooling pump, power steering fluid pump, cooling fan, air injection pump, air conditioning compressor and more.

If the timing belt breaks the engine will stop immediately and could cause severe damage to your engine. You wouldn't be able to drive your car to be repaired.
None of these belts should put a hole in the engine block if they come off nor should they flap and hit the engine block.

I’m not sure what the mechanic said to you about repairing a hole in your engine block but I can almost assure you that it wasn’t a hole anywhere near the block…and… a hole in the block is not an easy thing to fix in most cases.

IMO the mechanic replaced a few belts (and not the timing belt), machined the rotors, replaced the pads and maybe cleaned up some other areas of your car.

Question: Did you actually see the hole that was caused by what you say was a flapping belt?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote