View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
2014 Chevy Sonic hatchback. Extensive posts in Sonic forums conclude that neither Thule nor Yakima makes feet for this car and that Thule abandoned the effort due to the odd shape of the roof where it meets the door frame. The only other rack company that makes a rack that claims to fit the Sonic hatchback is Rhino Racks. There are many reports of the Rhino Rack falling off the Sonic on the highway. GM also makes a rack that is supposed to fit the Sonic, but again, users report that it doesn't fit well. I don't want to have a catastrophic rack failure on the highway.
I appreciate your concern, but offer two thoughts:

First, if you're driving a 2014 Sonic, I'm going to guess that you are frugal, and the price for a custom rack (no part of which will you ever use on another vehicle) is going to knock you off your seat.

Second, your reasoning rests on the premise that you and the fabricator will design a better rack than both GM and Rhino. Not saying that either company is perfect or that you are not super skilled, but both companies have performed this particular task many more times than any single human will in a lifetime.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote