View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogpixie View Post
A neighbor in a very small lakefront association has proposed the banning of fellow neighbors from fishing off of association docks due to having found a fish hook embedded in one of their dock lines.
The neighbor feels it is a safety issue.
The incidence of neighbors fishing from the docks in this small association is relatively rare and mostly limited to the occasional visiting grandchild. One would like to think that if the misguided hook was cast by a neighbor, that neighbor would be conscientious towards their neighbors and remedy the issue accordingly. More than likely the hook in the line resulted from a passing fisherman on a boat whose cast inadvertently got caught in the dock line.

QUESTIONS:
1. If it were, in fact, the result of a passing fisherman's errant hook, should the fisherman have somehow attempted to remove their hook, out of courtesy towards their fellow man?
2. If so, is it permissible for the passing fisherman to step onto private docks in order to gain access to accomplish that task?
3. Somewhere on this forum someone once claimed there's no such thing as a private dock, is that true?
4. Knowing that the water around and under the docks is free for fisherman to fish, should this incident be viewed as par for the course, in other words just an ongoing possibility?
5. Is banning association neighbors & their guests from fishing off docks an appropriate response, since it would not eliminate the possibility of future hooks becoming embedded in dock lines?
6. Is banning neighbors, with appropriate licenses, from fishing off their own docks even possible if it isn't addressed in community bylaws?
7. Is this a case of 'much ado about nothing' or should it be regarded as a matter that deserves a swift response?

Please feel free to opine on any or all of the questions! Thanks for your input!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As this is an association thing, I suggest looking at the deeded rights provided by the association... yes the decision making body for the association, could create a rule, but that in turn get get overturned easy enough. What you don't want to have happen is the eager neighbor to get the rule into the deed rules of the association....

Over all really!!!! come on, I have people fishing in front of my place all the time, and in 30 years, only once have I found a hook somewhere unexpected... And in those same 30 year, I don't want to discuss the number of times, I have pricked my finger with a nail or screew, jambed my hand between the dock and boat... etc etc etc....
Sponsored Links