View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Exclamation ... new sign at Waterville Valley

Very recently installed, and located at the entry to Waterville Valley, the Town of Waterville Valley now has the largest "Welcome to (town name)" sign in the State of New Hampshire ...... as far as I know? It measures about ten to fifteen feet high by about thirty feet wide(?), is located at the entry to town, and actually looks totally fantastic, blends very well, and every time I see it ..... it looks better and better.

A photograph here would be very informative, because a picture is worth a thousand words .... as you know.

After dark, it gets lit up by about four or five different lights.

Design includes a large masonry stone tower, mountain peaks silhouette design, a brief message ... colors: either dark green or brown (can't recall?) and white letters

So, what's up with this new sign? Well, a lot of skiers and riders take a left, and head up to the ski area mountain, and never-ever hit the town by driving straight ahead. Last March, a warrant article concerning constructing this new sign got passed by one single vote on town election day.... and the design-construction process started to roll forward.

How much did it cost? My guess is maybe $20,000 for site work, design, building, electric ...... maybe $30,000 all told? ..... who knows? Maybe $40,000 ..... ? I actually have no idea ..... except it had to be a lot of that town money?

The many different businesses and activities in Waterville Valley include a number of restaurants, bars, pizza, hotels, condo rentals, huge indoor ice skating rink, ice hockey, figure skating, broom-ball, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, fat tire winter bicycling, snow tubing, 9-hole beautiful mountain golf course, 18-outdoor tennis red clay courts, 2-indoor shaggy green tennis, 3-indoor pickleball, huge indoor swim pool, hot tub and sauna, huge heated outdoor pool, retail clothing, Namaste Yoga w/ Helen, Book Monger books - a real book store & Toad Hall Toys - a real toy store .... the best books & toys around, and walking about five miles of outdoor, town maintained, happy s'now cleared sidewalks ..... all the long winter ...... good for winter walking .... mountain bike trails/summer and this new, large sign is a welcome type of a sign.

"Welcome to Waterville Valley" is a fairly simple, iconic, and straight ahead type of a sign that really blends good, will be here forever, helps to define and introduce the town ...... understated and informative and welcoming!

As Tom Corcoran might say ..... 'It's a hell of a good sign, and a welcome addition!!!' ..... and he built this place, so he would know.

www.waterville.com/Tom-Corcoran/

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2019 at 06:59 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post: