View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
bigdog

Default Thanksgiving trip

Well what a trip !

We left central Mass. around 5:30am in light rain.
By the time we got on I-84 in CT, the rain started to pickup quite heavy, almost blinding in the early morning darkness.

Entering into Hartford we had to make a decision to go I-91 down to pickup the Merritt Pkway or stay on I-84W to I-684 to reach White Plains NY. The rain by this time was coming down like a Florida thunderstorm, and it was still fairly dark out, making the driving horrific ! My hands were gripping the steering-wheel like vise-grips !

Knowing how the Merritt can be a real challenge and down-right dangerous in inclement weather,we decided to stay on the main I-84W interstate. A very wise decision on our part, as the driving rain pelted us heavily all the way on I-84/684 to the until Tappen Zee bridge.

No major delays, until we go on the NJ turnpike around Newark-Elizabeth NJ, car accident that tied traffic up for about half and hour.

Other than that, was clear sailing rest of way, and further South we traveled the rain seemed to let up and finally stop in PA.

Will be traveling back to MASS/NH Sunday, will probably take the Merritt Pkway in CT if the weather co-operates.

Thanks everyone for all the great travel links, will save for future use.

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote