View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Long Pine

Default Composite/PVC Decking and Under-Deck Drainage Systems

There was a thread on here a couple years ago on composite decking but I wanted to get an updated view from anyone willing to comment on their experiences with either composite decking or with under-deck drainage systems (to allow for a dry patio area beneath a deck).

Specifically, some on this forum have said good things about their Azek decks. Azek is a PVC product. Timbertech has one called XLM and Fiberon has one called Outdoor Flooring. I have heard of negatives about PVC decks like heat build-up in the sun, warping, staining from bug spray/sun-screen, slippery when wet, and static electricity build-up. Azek installation instructions say installation near Low-E glass can cause excess heat build-up and warping (I imagine a lot of lake houses have some low-E glass on the lake side). Fiberon says that you can't install an under-deck drainage system with their product unless there is at least six inches of clear space below the joists for air circulation (otherwise too much heat build-up presumably).

There are other capped composite products out too like Timbertech Earthwood Evolutions and Fiberon Horizon - not sure if they share the best/worst qualities of a PVC deck as well or whether they perform differently.

I love natural wood but really want a low maintenance splinter-free deck that ideally doesn't look like plastic, get too hot, warp, etc. A lot of conflicting opinions and varying experiences out there on these products. I may just be inviting more confusion but interested in additional feedback.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote