View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not a big jet ski person, but the thoughts of an electric anything motor boating is so depressing to me.

I LOVE the sound and the vibration of the motor, its part of the experience.

You become one with the machine, I can feel when an engine hits its sweet-spot, and like riding a horse as it transitions from trot to gallop to full run, feeling the engine accelerate through its RPM range is just thrilling.

When we all ran pre-mix and "white gas" (or any good gas before the change to unleaded) I LOVED the smell of an outboard and a marina. I smelled and sounded like FUN.

Boating with and electric motor might be fine for a tour boat, but for anything I would feel like some major fun part was missing, and for a personal watercraft it would seem doubly so. Like trying to sell a Harley rider on an electric motor, just dont see that taking off.

But then the way the world is going, my guess is that if they can add a booming sound system and selfie camera, then it will probably be a hit.
I'm a car guy who started with a Plymouth Barracuda and finished with 5 BMWs, most of them stick. So gas was in my veins, but I can only say you need to try it before you feel sorry for yourself. EVs are not just for tree huggers. The instant torque gives you a jump off the line better than anything short of an exotic. The self-braking motor--as you lift your foot off the accelerator the motor spins in reverse to recharge the battery--gives you an even better sense of control than a clutch. It feels like you're piloting a spaceship rather than trudging over land. For a person who loves performance and control, gas engines are yesterday's news.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote