Thread: Water driveways
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
Mink Islander

Default No, it's the me, me, me boaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I will probably get some flak for this but....

The lakes and streams of NH including Lake Winnipesaukee (to the high water mark) belong to ALL of the residents of NH.... not just the waterfront property owners. This essentially makes the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee a public park. Free to be used and enjoyed by ALL!

The state has recognized that the waterfront property owners do have a few Littoral Rights that members of the public are not granted, such as docks, moorings, swim areas etc. to facilitate access and use of thier property. For instance Joe Public cannot anchor his boat in such a way as to prevent a property owner from accessing his dock.

The problem is not the boater anchored off the shoreline... he/she is just exercising thier RIGHT (this will be important) to enjoy the public waters. The problem lies with the property owner who feels that they (and they alone) are entitled to dictate the use of the PUBLIC water in front of thier property ( the usual argument is "because they pay ridiculous taxes). The reality is that they have NO RIGHTS (other than the Littoral ones mentioned above) to say anything. If Joe Public want to anchor or fish his boat 10 feet off your shoreline, there isnt anything you can do about it as long as he doesnt impede your access or egress.

It's these same waterfront me, me, me, I, I, I types that have shut down Ames Farm and ruined the most popular spots on the lake with no-rafting zones.

Woodsy

PS: Not all waterfront property owners are like this, in fact I think its the minority.... but its a very LOUD minority!
As is so often said here, it's really about common sense and common courtesy. The latter seems to be an especially dying art. What you have the right to do and what is the "right" thing to do are not always the same thing. It's usually when someone starts to enforce their "rights" -- real or imagined, landowner or boater -- that tensions rise. And usually it involves a high level of insensitivity to (or lack of empathy for ) the other side's perspective.

Fundamentally, I don't think this is a "class warfare" issue of boaters vs. landowners. There are reasonable and not so reasonable folks out there on both sides -- thankfully not too many of either!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote