View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #35
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I personally believe anyone who tells me they are wearing a mask to protect me is either crazy or lying. . . . I personally have ZERO expectation for you to wear mask when you feel fine so that you can protect me. . . . The notion you are wearing a mask to protect others is simply feel good hype.
Here's a simple analogy. If I'm not mistaken, you offered me advice about my roof. I assume you did that because you wanted to help me. Why would I not have the same heartfelt concern for you?

The science says that even though I'm vaccinated, and even if I have no visible symptoms, I can be a Covid carrier without knowing it. Spreading a serious disease to another person when I could prevent that goes against all of my personal and social values. If I did that and you got sick and possibly died, I wouldn't only be hurting you. I would be hurting everyone who cares about you and people who depend on you (your children, employer, coworkers, friends, etc.). There would be a financial cost of your illness and death. I don't want to be the cause of such harm.

You know, people do sincere altruistic things all the time. I bet even you would stop to help an injured dog by the side of the road. We often see people's selfish exterior, but I think that altruism is just as innate in people. It's even innate in animals---just look for "animals helping animals" on YouTube. I think the reason for this is that when you strip away politics, religion, etc., you realize that we all belong to the same human species and we're all in this together. Sure it's about feeling good. Looking out for others does make you feel good.