View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
Skip

Default Back to radar/lidar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think the FCC is VERY particular about how electronic devices radiate energy. Look at the documentation that comes with everything you buy that "may" radiate energy. Your garrage door opener for example, etc. A term that comes to mind is "May Not" (meaning not permissible) interfere with other gadgets within a certain range.

Now if a radar were able to penetrate another gadget so easily, I would think the FCC would have something to say about it. The inside of the plastic case on my computer has metal/foil shielding to prevent either intrussion or radiation outward, by Rf energy which might interfere with the operation of other electronic devices. NB
You are confusing spurious RF energy emissions which are limited or eliminated by FCC type acceptance, with a case of a legally permitted RF source interfering occassionally with a third party device. It happens all the time in the real world as all operating conditions cannot be controlled or anticipated for various reasons. There would be nothing "illegal", even via the FCC's rigid standards, to prevent the anomaly that BI experiences.

Anyway, we have strayed significantly from the original post's question and intent. By the way, to get back to the original post, a radar or laser detector would probably work significantly better over open water than its intended terrestial application. Since the radar/lidar units operate within the same parameters frequencywise as their land use cousins than they would operate as least as well over the water, where they are not currently banned under existing NH regulations.