Thread: Market turmoil
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #58
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
That is not necessarily true, some people can subjectively look at this stuff and be swayed. Others not so much. Generally those who speak in absolutes on gray areas and those whose rage you can feel seething through their posts don't want to change.

For decades now the politics coverage and discussion focus on intent, perceived intent and fluff rather than results. We need to start focusing on results. Things like revenue increases after tax cuts are genuine good results that if you think superficially don't make sense. A simple explanation is that if a tax is fair and not punitive or confiscatory in nature, it's easier for payers just to pay it rather than figuring and working ways to lessen its impact.

These are good conversations to have, unfortunately there are too many crybabies amongst us.
^^ THANKS ^^

Now a days it's all about group think, find the group who thinks the way that you do and everything else is evil, toxic and to be admonished no matter what. Sadly to pile on top of this is a plethora of so called "facts" or opinion polls that are often times skewed to further a particular perception even though the true reality likely suggests otherwise. In the end we end up with a split between multiple groups of individuals - including those that are in a position to govern, consensus of any kind is never found as any capitulation is considered weakness and unacceptable unless the consequences may carry ramifications that may blink the career dissipation light for elected officials. Thus any compromise that may occur is done out of political expediency and not necessarily in the best interest of the country as a whole.

As a conservative - or maybe better put more of a libertarian, there are things going on I think are very good others I don't like. However I tend to think in the way of what is best for the country and all Americans, not necessarily what is best for me. Maybe that is because being in the military and having been sent overseas to be part of the defense of this great nation I got a chance to see things that made me really appreciate just how unique and blessed we are as a nation, but at the same time understand the reality that this country doesn't exist just because and there are plenty of suicidal maniacs out there hell bent on destroying what we cherish, our freedom and way of life. Unless or until we as a nation figure out a way to govern ourselves in a way that puts our country first, our interests (as a country and not as individuals) first, and do what is needed to defend that we are bound to fail, and there are plenty it seems that are perfectly willing to allow that to happen, if not encourage it.

So long as political hacks such as Nancy Pelosi or Mitch McConnell are left in office we're never going to get anywhere. Both are perfect examples of why term limits are so badly needed.