View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #47
Mee-n-Mac

Question Nobody saw nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Interesting that both boat operators were over 50. As everyone knows, night vision deteriorates rapidly and significantly for people over 45; I wonder how much that was a factor in this incident?

But, another thing bothers me too -- with 8 people aboard, you would think that one of them would have seen the other boat coming, and commented on it? I don't know about the rest of you, but I always have someone else looking out too when I'm boating, especially at night. I'm just surprised 8 pairs of eyes missed the oncoming boat.
You think someone would have seen something wouldn't you ? That's what bothers me about this case, both captains claim they didn't see the other guy until the last second (not that they misjudged the distance). I suppose both could have been distracted, perhaps by their passengers (akin to talking on the cellphone). Could be a bit of CYA by both parties ? In a head on (or nearly) situation there's every advantage to see the other boat. The R/G sidelights should* be visible and more easily distinguished from the background than the white all-around. People tend to look where they're going (straight ahead). Age can certainly reduce the amount of light getting to your retina(s) but if you can see colors then there's plenty of light intensity. I still make out the colors of lights at distance on the lake and I'm over 50. So what can, could be done ? In time technology will fix this problem but in the meanwhile I'm not sure what else to do. More stringent requirements on those going out at night ?

*I have noted that on some boats, where the sidelights are in a combo unit on the bow, that the R and G can "merge" into a whitish/yellowish (like an old dim auto headlight) point of light when viewed head on. Maybe this occured and the now "white" light was lost in the background ? Maybe sidelights should really be on the sides ?