Thread: WOW Trail
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
This WOW trail as shown on the map in the website would create a walking, jogging, biking, in-line skating, xc skiing, paved trail running along Lake Winnisquam-Lake Opechee-Paugus Bay & Meredith Bay, next to where a single railroad track that's active in the summer now exists. As I understand, the snowmobiles have been using the railroad track, when covered by natural snow, as a trail for years.

It's a State of New Hampshire owned right of way, and an excellent use for a bicycle path because it is very flat, and very scenic being right along the waterfront of three different lakes. The bicycle season potentially lasts from March to December, depending on the snow coverage.

Bicycling is a great way to get in shape, loose weight, increase strength and endurance, is quiet, non-polluting, uses no gasoline, and makes the waterfront available to many who otherwise would not get out to see it.

Plus, it is a cheap way to see the lakes. For just five dollars, I have an old English three-speed bike that I found at a yard sale which would be excellent for the paved level WOW bike trail. If anyone is looking for a cheap usable bike, try the Saint Vincent DePaul store on Union Ave next to McDonald's in Laconia.

Three cheers for everyone involved in making the WOW, Winnisquam-Opechee-Winnipesaukee multi-use, NON-MOTORIZED trail a happening trail, sometime soon!
You're correct, it is a New Hampshire state owned right of way. That means we the people own it, not any one user group. I applaud the efforts of those who helped raise money and had the vision to create a trail of this magnitude, but to spend 3 million dollars to locate a nine mile, non motorized trail next to a major snowmobile corrider with no apparent collaborative effort with the snowmobile community makes no sense to me.

Careful what you wish for FLL, exclusionary projects like this may some day limit your access to a sport or to an activity that you enjoy.

Big D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote