View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
V ger

Default Kayak PFD

I asked a friend of mine (a former Illinois state kayaking champion and current kayaking coach) for a recommendation. He suggested the following.

NRS Vista

Kokatat Outfit for men 7 way adjustable for a good fit

Kokatat Msfit for women 7 way adjustable for a good fit

Kokatat Aries

I have found Inflatables to be very comfortable and most provide very good flotation. Inflatables should be checked and maintained periodically to insure proper function. The manual toggles for these can sometimes be triggered when entering and leaving a kayak. No matter what kind of PFD you choose it must be properly adjusted to work well. They say in auto racing "If you have a $5.00 head get a $5.00 helmet". The cold waters of the lake require a good PFD that will keep your face out of the water even if hypothermic NOT a swim aid like a floatation belt.
Most kayaking PFDs will work well. Comfort and fit can only be assured by trying them on and simulating paddling motions. This is especially important for women. One of the best ways to do this is to take kayaking lessons at a place that might have several types of PFDs to try. Just as the true comfort of shoes cannot be known until you have walked a while in them PFDs should be paddled in. Please learn how to self rescue and how to stabilize another's kayak with your paddle so they can reenter their own kayak from deep water. A spray skirt and flotation bags for the kayak will greatly enhance your comfort and safety. A paddle leash will keep you from being blown away from your paddle should you drop it.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V ger For This Useful Post: