Thread: Tree removal...
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #19
Charlie T

Default Ask a lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
That's your opinion.

Any reputable business will have insurance that covers the business and the jobs it is performing, end of story. Due to varying commitment levels from customers, your "quick email" would end up being 30 "quick emails" every day for any company that is reasonably busy.

For whatever it's worth, not once have I had a customer ask to be added to my company insurance as it's redundant to do so.
I"m not a lawyer but as I understand it, by being listed as as "additional insured" it offers direct protection to the customer/ home owner. AND it prevents the contractor from canceling the insurance or allowing it to lapse during the period of the work being performed.

Yes it's my opinion but I believe it will be shared by anyone with even the most basic understanding of contract law. If as a contractor you offer the COI on a regular basis it will be only a quick email to your insurance company. Adding customers as an additional insured is done everyday all over this country. If you have a business that performs "30 projects a day" as you claim, I contend that you should have plenty of office staff to efficiently get these certs with little hassle. You will never obtain a contract for work with any large firm or Govt. entity without that insurance cert. Its just a standard cost of doing business in this society.

I'll state it again, any contractor who offers any resistance to providing the cert has something to hide whether it be a total lack of insurance or low limits that won't satisfy a reasonable judgement and should be avoided.

I invite the opinion on this from the many business people who populate this forum.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post: