Thread: Aereo
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I inquired about Aereo and got the following answers:

1. Aereo technology can be compared to the HD antenna you would buy and set up in your home. As with your home antenna you would need to to be in the market area to watch the channels available in that area. (In other words you couldn't take the box to Florida and watch the Boston stations)

2. Our membership plans are month to month and there’s no long-term commitment required.

3. You can watch Live TV unlimited, anytime with either memberships, the only difference is the Cloud DVR storage space.

4. Our video streams 720p at its highest quality.

I hope this helps anyone trying to decide if they would like it.
I find this a bit confusing. I do not have cable. I have a 2-foot antenna on my roof. I don't see how an Aereo antenna the size of a quarter can pick up signals as well as my Yagi. Besides, if the station is broadcasting in 1080i, then I receive the signal in 1080i. How can they down-convert it to 720p unless they're really broadcasting their own signal over the internet (and the pseudo-antenna is a legal loophole).

I love FREE TV. Most people do not realize that over-the-air (OTA) TV is hi-def. The only caveat is sports. If you love to watch professional sports (and I don't), you only get Sunday network football and other sports playoff games. If you like watching the Bruins, Celtics, RedSox regular season games, they're not OTA.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote