View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
With the economy as it is people are having to cut prices to stay busy.
Maybe he has insurance maybe not, for yard cleanups requiring insurance is a little anal, unless it is a high end yard with costly tree’s and shrubs there really isn’t much damage that can be done, and or you are using a large outfit with many employees, then it is the law. But for a sole proprietor insurance is not required by law, but is a very smart investment.
I know unless the insurance binder is sent directly from the insurance company it can either be faked or is useless as the person could have canceled their insurance and still have the original binder sent to them.
I know whenever I have to produce a certificate it is sent directly to the homeowner or business from the insurance company, I provide the company with all the mailing information and it goes out that day, that is what I pay them for and that is how they want it done and it doesn’t matter how many time a year I need it they are happy to comply.
Until he accidently damages you or a neighbors property. Even a "simple" yard clean-up can cause damage. Run a blower and throw a rock into a window, sliding door, etc and the headaches aren't worth it using fly by night guy.

I don't know what the "clean-up" entail or how big the yards are in there but $150 if he's truly only there for 1 to 1.5 hours is about right. He has to get rid of the debris, pay for truck, fuel, trailer, tools, advertising, taxes, etc so that "125/hr" gets eaten up pretty quick. So many guys come and go in the landscape business because they lowball and then figure out they aren't making any money.

I would strongly urge people check out if any contractor has insurance before starting a job.

Usually the guys who are in business long-term in lawn care are not the cheapest. There's a reason for that.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote