View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #38
No-Mo-Shun

Default Rafting damage

CHUNT, I'm sorry you had damage to your boat and to the other boat. Sounds like the skipper of the wake maker is brainless as far as vessel operation is concerned. There is however, a way to prevent this kind of damage; DON'T RAFT!! It is a questionable practise and is not necessary. Simple dinghy over to the boat you wish to visit. Or lacking a dinghy, swim over. You'll most likely have a much nicer visit if you're not worried about damage.
One time I had sailed my Catalina 22 along with a fleet of other Catalina 22's to Santa Cruz Island in Southern California, where we anchored up for the night. The anchorage was super calm and about 15 boats rafted together for the night. My kids and I anchored by ourselves abour 100 yards away. About 6 AM, the wind came up to about 30 knots and tore the raft apart. What a mad scramble to break up the raft and go anchor by themselves.
It's nearly impossible to fender the boats correctly to avoid damage.
The morale of the story is: you never know what size wake will arrive at your boat and you had better be prepared for it's arrival.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame