View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #66
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point
I ended up at Lowe's today after trying without luck to buy a mid range plumbing snake at Trustworthy Hardware. We didn't take the time to wander through the store (our plumbing dilemma needed immediate attention).

I did want to mention that the low-end plumbing snake at Lowes was $1.25 more expensive than an identical (same brand name too!) snake at Trustworthy. When I asked several of the staff at Lowe's about RV antifreeze, they had no idea what I was talking about. They had to find a manager to see if they carried it (they didn't).

Let's not forget about the smaller stores. Their inventory may not be as extensive as the big box stores, but they know their products and their prices are pretty competitive.

When I need hardware/paint I will always go to Trustworthy. Lowe's is my default destination.
Most of the employees in any new store, whether a small mom and pop operation or a big box store, will have new employees who may not be familiar with the hundreds, or thousands of products available. Time and training will help them out. I have been to small stores and encountered a new employee who didn't have the answer to my question. At least these new Lowes employees asked someone to get the answer. Scariest answer in that situation is "I don't think we have that!!!!" , when they don't know and don't ask.