View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
I'm considering making the move from a 19' Glastron bowrider 185hp Volvo stern drive to a pontoon/tritoon for next year.

Family getting bigger, 7 kids, 2 married, 2 grandkids.

Major uses cruising, tubing, picnic lunch and dinner. Lake Wentworth is home.

Like to research, hate to shop. Where do I start?
Here’s my recommendation...

If your shopping for a toon get one with a performance package which would include three logs, lifting strakes, underskinning and other performance characteristics. Get the biggest motor you can afford! I have never seen anyone complain when they have purchased the max horsepower! I have seen many many with buyers regret for not getting enough power and eventually trade up or repower and take a bath financially. I also recommend 24’ long for WINNIPESAUKEE. Do it once and do it right and you will save money in the long run.

As far as brands go most of the manufacturers are putting out some pretty nice stuff right now so it’s tough to go wrong. I personally have owned Manitou, Premier and currently a Bennington all with performance packages and big motors including Evinrude Etec, Mercury Verado and Yamaha. All of these boats and motors had their good points. Though Bennington’s 10 year stem to stern warranty is hard to beat! I think it’s more important you buy from someone dependable and respected that is on the lake for servicing purposes. For what it’s worth I bought my last two toons at Winnisquam Marine and could not be happier with their service after the sale! I’m sure many on here will say the same about whatever Marina they bought their boat at.

Edited to add...To respond to your second question, I live on the lake 24-7 and I have never had an issue navigating my pontoon in the wind or in any condition Wiini can churn up. I’m not sure what your friend was doing wrong but that is certainly nothing to worry about...

Good Luck!

Dan