Thread: Trip to Canada
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default data not shared

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Interpol.

Just kidding. But I would guess that there is much data shared.

Years ago going into Canada on 91 the Canadians asked me to pull over. I was alone in my little economy car. Waited my turn and they searched entire car. No ripping apart anything. Just looking. I asked why me and I was told that they just do random checks. I had nothing of interest to them. And on I went to Magog.

But while waiting in waiting room a fellow walks in to show his UK passport. They asked him where he was coming from. He had been working in Ghana, stayed awhile in South Africa, and came to USA from Brazil. They just looked at his passport and told him to go on. No background check or anything. Just a quick look at passport. This was years ago before all of the RFID chips were placed in passports. My wait was about 30 minutes and his wait was about 30 seconds.
From my understanding the US and Canada do not get along when it comes to border crossing and sharing information.
Now maybe this has changed but from my understanding they actually do not really want us in their country and this is evident by just how much they charge for a yearly snowmobile registration, +/- #300.00 for a mere what 3 months.
The reason for this is many times in years past US citizens have ridden in Canada, gotten into an accident then once across the border refused to pay up. That is why they raised the rates so high for all of us. It is a real bummer because we really enjoyed riding in Canada. They do the absolute best job of maintaining trails of anywhere I've ridden.