View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
to reopen this “Can of Clams” but in fairness to Pop’s...they don’t “run out” because they don’t run a good business or don’t know what they are doing.. Here is the owner’s explanation from last year, it makes perfect sense to me:

We order our seafood on Thursdays for a Friday delivery. As you know weather can change dramatically here in New England. Our business is very weather dependant. If it is at all rainy our business slows dramatically. The sun comes out we literally go from zero to wide open. I order carfully depending on what is forcasted. Throwing out clams is not an option at $130 a gallon. Dry scallops and frying clams can not be just picked up at the grocery store. We do our best not to run out but only being open three days a week in the spring makes that a tuff goal to make some times.

Running a seasonal restaurant is tough, let’s support them with our business while we can!
I guess that “works” for pop...but I have to wonder...can’t clams be refrigerated like anything else? Clams, chicken, all come to the businesses REFRIGERATED.
I’ll bet his suppliers have them refrigerated while waiting for shipment.
The fresh foods we buy in our supermarkets like meats and fish aren’t shipped direct from farm or ocean. They are coming from slaughterhouses and fisherman’s Co-ops/markets. A person in the know once told me the seafood we get in our supermarkets has been off the boat for at least 2 weeks.
You would think a business could order a surplus to cover a full service cycle?
Again, I guess running out of a main ingredient works for some but I won’t travel there to be disappointed. My 2 cents.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote