Thread: What An Idiot!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
MikeF-NH

"When Overtaking Another Boat: The boat being overtaken is the privileged vessel. Only after signaling and receiving an acknowledgment can the overtaking boat pass. (Use on blast to pass on the right, and two blasts to pass on the left.

When Being Overtaken: Be ready for trouble when a power boat passes you in a narrow waterway. As the lead boat, which always has the right of way, stay on your side of the channel and maintain a steady speed so that the overtaking vessel can pass you safely. Use your radio to discuss this with the passing boat."

Did the over taking boat (Formula) use a signal (horn blast) AND receive achknowledgement? No? He was in wrong

Did the over taken boat maintain speed? No? he would be in the wrong IF the over taking boat above signalled.

Bottom line: "As the lead boat, which always has the right of way"

That said, I always try to follow the rules of law AND the rules of common sense. Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you proceed carelessly into the path of another craft then wave your arms about having the right of way....even if you are in the right. Thats how I act on the water BUT I always expect the worse from the other guy so I don't have problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: