View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Those who still have Windows 7 can get Windows 10 without purchase. Google it and you will find it. Uncomfortable about the conversion? PM me if you want help.
Before jumping in to that conversion, make sure the computer has the hardware horsepower (memory, disk space, CPU) to handle Windows 10. Hardware also has a shelf life. Some old components just may not provide complete modern functionality even if the software is new. You might cram Windows 10 onto your old platform and have expensive or unfixable hardware issues down the road. Windows 10 will actually check capabilities on your old system and, I believe, will not install on a substandard system. However, it could still install and not work quite right on some hardware.

Economical new laptops sell at Best Buy for $200 - $400, desktops for a bit more. However, even more powerful systems are pretty affordable these days.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1 to 10 but I had a high end laptop with cutting edge functionality and excess of capacity. Even so, I upgraded to a solid state hard drive for better performance.

I'm just encouraging not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Good Luck!
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote