Thread: Tax abatements
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
Crusty

Default Assessed values and the bureaucracy

As a long-time visitor and one-time shoreline property owner (Alton), I learned MANY things about how the world works. My assessed value was much higher than what I paid and continued to go up every year. My wife finally took matters in hand and hired a professional appraiser (the same one the town used) and got a realistic value. While the town couldn't dispute what the appraiser found, they did throw out all the comparables that weren't in Alton (most of them). In the end, they agreed to knock the valuation down a few thousand. The next year, the valuation went right back up.

My neighbor owns a pie-shaped lot. When she found that she was being charged for a rectangular lot (overlapping mine --we both were paying). She got no refund because it was her responsibility not to have paid it.

When we had a modern septic system installed, the installers carefully checked the schedule to determine who the town inspector would be. They explained that the leach field pipes could be installed parallel to the road or perpendicular to the property line (the lot corner is not 90 degrees). Each inspector insisted on a different interpretation. Fortunately, they guessed right and didn't have to redo the installation.

I asked a visiting state inspector about procedures for removing a shoreline tree, other than the standard "do it at night" approach or "just pay the fine". He said that any proper attempt had little chance of success. However, he observed that due to its proximity to our cottage, it looked like a "hazard tree" to him. If I reported it to the appropriate agency to establish their liability should it damage the house, I would get an immediate waiver.

Other advice: Don't fill-in an ancient, unused, non-potable, dug well. If you ever want to drill a well, it's MUCH easier to get a permit to replace a failing well than to drill a new one. Never remove an old run-down shed, outhouse, or deck. If you ever decide to replace your dwelling, all of the square-footage counts toward your "footprint".
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post: