Thread: Tax abatements
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I see no difference in having widely varying land values as much as building values. Granted if there are two lots being compared side by side that have nearly identical characteristics then they should be assessed as such with a similar price tag.

I also believe that certain improvements can be reflected in the land value too.
Here is what I can tell you from personal experience.... when it comes to assessing the value of land on the water, there is really on one thing the towns look at, and that is the number of feet bordering on the water. If you take a look at long Isnland, if you are on the Broads side of the island you are asset one amount based on that view...The amount assed on the other sides of Long Island is different (and less) based upon those views.... When I investigate this some odd years ago, the math was simple.....

Landvalue = $per foot on water based on view X ft of water front....

Now of a few people I know that tried to get abatement, only 1 person I know of got relief, and that was because his lot was deemed not build able without substantial improvements to the lot.... However the next year after that work was done, the lot value went right back to where it had been....

Shorefront landowners get screwed, there is no way around it.