Thread: Heat wave?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post

Thank you for the great updates and information. My husband thinks I'm a bit touched as one of my dream vacations is going on a tornado chase for 2 weeks.

GB
You're not alone! There has been enough demand to drive the success of several storm chase businesses. The one whose website I know off-hand is www.twistersisters.com. Two women, best friends, will take you to see the severe stuff. The Twister Sisters have been featured on late night talk shows as well as the morning news shows.

Anyway.... It's questionable whether or not we'll get an official heat wave out of this weekend, since three consecutive days of 90+ temps are needed to make it official. It will depend on how quickly and how far east temperatures rise on Saturday. I think 90 is a good bet west of I-93, while Portsmouth and the Maine Coast will remain in the 58-65 range with murky not muggy. Lighthouse weather. The lake will be caught in the middle, with higher temps in Center Harbor than in Alton. At this point I'll go for 80 in Center Harbor and 70 in Alton. It's possible that the hot and humid stuff may gain enough momentum to boot out more of the ocean influence than I'm currently guessing it will. If that happened, it would be warmer in more places on Saturday, possibly enough to give the lake a chance at 90 on Saturday... but we'll see.

Sunday will be hot and humid. Period.

So will Monday.

Just remember... review those severe weather safety rules and mental readiness. The cold air is uncaged this year (It's snowing in Steamboat Springs Colo. today). With the summer season finally reaching New England, it'll just be a matter of time before the cold starts picking fights with it. Given the intensity of the fights we've been seeing everywhere else for the last 2 months, it's a good bet that we'll be sharing in some of it this summer. It means practical things like if you're coming on vaca. for a couple of weeks, it probably wouldn't hurt to throw a chainsaw in the trunk if you have room, along with the usual power-outage supplies. Preparing your family for a severe thunderstorm or a tornado is very similar to preparing for a fire alarm - except you need to choose your meeting place in the most sturdy, reinforced, lowest, central part of the structure... away from windows (where glass shatters and flies) and have a mutual plan for occupying it quickly.

If you are a meteorology maniac, you gotta leave the keys in your chase vehicle, make sure the HAM radio is working, and have a blank tape in the video camera at all times!
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote