View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #283
Sundancer320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Seaplane Adventures View Post
Hi everyone. I want to clear the air about a lot of misinformation going around. I choose to do it here because on other forums people like to hide behind screen names and push false narratives. Please if anyone needs anything just call me up! Maybe I can take you for a ride!
1. I have started a small part time business called Epic Seaplane Adventures. I did this mostly because of the pandemic and needed a backup plan in case my real job went away. I have given so many rides in my plane people have always suggested that I charge for them, so I started the process of getting it running. I don't plan on interrupting my "lake life" but if you want an "air tour" I'm getting a website up and going. You could make a reservation and I can come to you if you have a private dock and I've been looking around for places (such as the Tuftonboro Town Dock) to be able to pick you up from. I can also do it from my place as well. So it's not specific, we just need to have the conversation, but can do it from anywhere really.
2. The woman who owns the Pier 19 Marketplace has been great! She is very enthusiastic about attracting business to her place. She and I put a proposal to the town to make the Public Dock Posts lower to allow, not just my plane, but any seaplane to approach safely without fear of hitting our tail on the dock. Also, we proposed adding some cushioning to the dock on the North Side. Doing this will then make the dock a more useful spot, not just for planes but for boats too. Contrary to the narrative being pushed this business will not be attached to Pier 19 Market Place. Just because she is helping promote it doesn't make it true. No one is going to set up shop on the dock, period end of story.
3. As you can imagine this has created a lot of buzz, especially for people who don't understand that seaplanes are legal here and allowed to land wherever it is safe. New Hampshire is not like other states and we are proud of that! I've heard everything from you can't block the fire boat to you can't use the dock for commercial purposes. Blocking the fireboat is not an issue because pilots can move the planes (they would never be left unattended and can be spun very quickly so their wing doesn't go over the dock see the photo) and commercial barges use the docks all the time for various reasons. Even the town puts a dumpster on the pier from time to time. (see photos of the town dock being blocked for commercial purposes and for private purposes as well)
4. There is a huge misconception that there is a seaplane "base" being developed in 19 Mile Bay. "Base" is a very scary word to the lay person. I can assure you it's only a specific FAA term. This was caused because the owner of Pier 19 Market Place, did what anyone can, (it's what I did with Mirror Lake and others have done such as Winter Harbor) and applied to the state and FAA (free of charge) to have 19 Mile Bay surveyed and registered as a Seaplane Landing Area. This does nothing more than allow 19 Mile Bay to be listed on an aviation chart and databases so that pilots can file flight plans to and from for safety reasons. So this outrage over a "base" is hyperbolic.
5. I invite anyone to get ahold of me to talk about this "business", more like a tax right off, that I can now charge people for taking rides! I can assure all of you that there is zero intention of making 19 Mile Bay an international airport. Let's all stop the panic now.
6. I have had some very disturbing ugly "threats" toward me. Some have stated that they will "block me" or any other planes from landing due to the right of way laws (because landing planes must technically give way to all vessels on the water). Some have come up with ideas of forming a blockade on the water or zig zagging in front of the landing plane to stop them. I want people to know that operating in a manner that jeopardizes safety intentionally to disrupt or harm someone is illegal and it's just not nice. If you have ever been over to Mirror Lake or know anyone over there, just come over and talk to us. They can tell you how much fun it is and how we all get along and operate safely.
7. There is a group of home owners on 19 Mile Bay that is forming an opposition to the idea of seaplanes coming in and out. Let's not name call them, but there is an acronym for this called NIMBY (stands for NOT IN MY BACKYARD). These folks are rallying support by spreading false information. If you run into them or are one of them feel free to get ahold of me to discuss this issue. I'm open to all comments. Each time I run into someone and discuss this issue with them the always walk away with a completely different idea of what they originally were told was happening. These people without the proper information are already talking about boycotting the Pier 19 Store! It's amazing how emotion and misinformation gets people upset. In this day and age of the internet people just look for reasons to be upset!
8. I grew up here and love this town. I'm a local guy. I can assure you that I'm not going to ruin anything or destroy what we all love. When I operate I do it with respect and love for this area and will continue to do so everyday. We need to be respectful of everyone. We all need equal access and treatment. That is all we are asking for! If people can block the dock for loading and unloading their stuff to go to the island, I just ask for the same access. (see photos) If commercial barges can come to the dock and do it for hire, I just ask for the same treatment and access. (see photos) Nothing more nothing less.
9. Lastly, to people who just openly don't want airplanes here, I'm not throwing this in your face at all, but the reality is that they are perfectly legal and there is nothing you can do about it. This is not a fight you will win. You do not own the lake, it's the state's property and seaplanes, just like your boat, have a right to come here. Again, this isn't a fight, it's a fact. It's a non arguable.
10. I ask for your support. Please email the selectman (selectmen@tuftonboro.org) to show support to allow us to lower the dock posts (see conceptual picture attached) and add cushioning to the dock at NO COST TO THE TAX PAYER. We will not alter the dock to change it's use in any way. In fact, we will improve it so that even more boaters can access it. Keep in mind that even if the dock posts don't get lowered that it will not prevent seaplanes from coming here. (see the photo of it there, notice the dock posts)
I'm sure some of you will have questions. I come on here in good faith. Please ask away! Nothing ugly. I accept hard questions. I just think this is a better forum than other forums where you can hide behind screen names.
Thank you all for your time.
T.R. Wood
Epic Seaplane Adventures
603-724-9104
Back with the same ole, same ole...

1. So it’s a business.. one that you want to make profitable. The only way to do that is is fly a lot of sightseeing passengers. At 3 pax per trip, you gotta do a lot! So, how much do you plan to do from the town docks?
2. You probably don’t know much of the history of the store owner and her fight with the slip owners. She has alienated many people in the bay already so she is not trusted by some. What’s in it for her? Who approached who? It’s disingenuous to suggest she has no vested interest but that doesn’t pass the smell test. We all know she is counting on your passengers in her store to increase traffic. And, to make it profitable she’ll expect a lot of passengers.
3. You keep comparing yourself to barges but just because you keep repeating it doesn’t make it so. Barges earn their money from someone’s property on the island not because the town dock. You on the other hand ...
4. Nobody, I think, cares about the FAA designation. They care because you plan to base your operation from it...just like Jetblue has it HQ in NY but “bases” it’s flights from Boston or Orlando. You’re being very sly in how you parse it but we all know what it is.
5. Stupid comment. International airport? Please...
6. There is no excuse for any threats ...period.
7. Those homeowners in 19 mile bay are the most affected by this venture. They have every right to oppose it as it directly affects their quality of life on the lake. To be tone deaf to that shows a troublesome attitude.
8 & 9. We can agree on our equal love of the lake.. Anyone who has been here any length of time knows seaplanes share the waterways with boaters. It’s part of lake life. But to rub noses in it by saying “there is nothing you can do about it” does nothing but strengthen the resolve of those opposed to you.
This is simply a case of a pair of business owners trying to use a public use dock for a floatplane sightseeing operation that has an impact on those who use the docks daily.
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sundancer320 For This Useful Post: